3D Graphics in Music Production

Flying Lotus ‘Layer 3’

Flying Lotus ‘Layer 3’ – A Red Bull Music Academy Film from Red Bull Music Academy on Vimeo.

As I’ve mentioned, my interests have drawn more away from fashion and more towards music and event production. I spend a lot of time following electronic music artists, and stage setup is always something that sticks out. A lot of musicians will have light shows, projection mapping and other visuals, but this artist Flying Lotus took raised the bar by developing this ‘Layer 3’ projection project. As you can see in the video, he uses the three transparent layers to project something different on each, but cohesively coming together to complement his musical production.

I had never seen anything like this before finding this video, and it really is a spectacular way to bring more to the audience, allowing them to be completely submersed into the show. The project isn’t too invasive, as it doesn’t require viewers to wear 3D glasses or put themselves into a secluded environment like with the cave. Although this takes a different approach to what we typically think of when we hear virtual reality, I think this is just a peak into what is to come for the future of music production.

Giving Music Geometry

Another example of creating a 3D experience with projection is below, a project designed on Modul8 by Adam Guzman and Julia Tsao. This one really interests me because it appears to be so simple, but sill tricks the mind into thinking the projections have another dimension

Nosaj Thing Visual Show Compilation Test Shoot from Adam Guzman on Vimeo.