FINAL POST – LIGHT UP SCARF

Describe the operation of your final project. What does it do and how does it work?

I created a fashionable yet functional scarf. If you are out at night for whatever activity you may be doing this scarf will keep you warm and safe. The scarf has three different functions, meaning three different light patterns you can choose from. You turn the scarf on and off by running your hand over a sensor; with the detection of what number swipe it is, this also changes the pattern of the light display. There are also LEDs that run in a circle simultaneously with the other patterns. These lights are motion activated and will respond to which direction you swipe your hand.

Overall what are your feelings on the project? Are you happy, content, frustrated?

I am really happy with the outcome of my project, a lot of what I learned in the class was applied to the final project, so it was fun to see the final piece come together.

What were the largest hurdles you encountered in your project and how did you overcome these obstacles?

The largest hurdle I encountered would probably be the inconsistency of my motion sensors. They worked sometimes, sometimes didn’t, and would read off very different values at different times. I overcame this hurdle by switching a motion sensor out with a light sensor. Another hurdle I encountered was with the LED wires, I had anticipated that they would be malleable enough to weave into the scarf, and I quickly found out that that was not going to work as the structure of the scarf was too delicate. At this point, I changed focus and approached the application of the LED wires in a different aesthetic direction.

How well did your project meet your original project description and goals?

My project goals changed from the beginning when I realized I was not going to be able to find a product malleable enough to weave into the scarf, other than that, I think my goals stayed pretty consistent throughout the majority of the process.

If you had more time what would you do on your next project?

If I had more time, I would like to find a way to better illuminate the scarf without compromising the comfort of the final piece. Perhaps using two lily pads, one on each end to provide better access to power sources at all lengths of the scarf. I would also like a way to have the product be more customizable to each customer, perhaps giving them many patterns to choose from and allowing them to upload it onto their very own scarf.