ReKinStruct- PCD: Check

After a bit of an initial struggle to set the Kinect up with the laptop, I have finally obtained Point Cloud Data.

First PCD

Yes, it is Alienware. Yes, I got my hands on the beast.

So, the visualisation window on the screen shows the frame that is being read from Kinect. The program as of now keeps adding XYZRGBA points to the temp file and saves it as a .pcd file when I press the ‘s’ key and continues to obtain the next dataset. This is just a basic program that I used to test if the Kinect was working.

However, this also gave me the idea to obtain and save PCDs periodically as discussed in the earlier posts. I have not yet tried exploiting all possibilities with the existing code like how big a file can it write, how long can I keep it running to obtain data, how good is the Kinect when it joins frames etc. The plan for the upcoming week would be to try exploring these areas.

Meanwhile, Dr.Ponto suggested the ‘SCENECT’ software which uses a GUI to obtain and modify the frames obtained from the Kinect. That would be a good idea to try along with the existing PCL visualisation code.

Will keep you posted.

Over and out.!

This entry was posted in Projects, ReKinStruct by Naveen Anand. Bookmark the permalink.

About Naveen Anand

I am currently a Masters student in the department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at University of Wisconsin-Madison. My concentrations are Computer Architecture and Operating Systems. I work with Dr.Kevin Ponto (https://blogs.discovery.wisc.edu/kponto/) in the Living Environments Lab, Wisconsin Institute for Discovery as a Project Assistant for the vizHOME project. Image processing and Virtual Reality have always been one of my major co-curricular interests since undergrad. This blog is going to be a chronological compilation of my independent study and future work with Dr.Ponto.