Rotating the World Builder Scene

As the semester is coming to an end I would like to try to accomplish getting the world builder scene to rotate. From my last video, I really like how the scene can be adjusted by using the leap motion to draw the scene up, down, into, and out of the screen.

Next I would like to be able to rotate the scene along the x axis. So when the hand is closed we would save the position of the hand in the (x,y,z) plane and then rotate about the x axis so that you could see the backside of the figure that you are drawing.

I am hoping to do this action is one finger. When the rotation would be based up the change of x and the finger moves left to right. To accomplish this I will be using the GLrotatef(angle, x,y,z) function where x = change of x and the y and z are both constant. I am having trouble finding a way to calculate the angle for this function. I believe I will need to find the angle between the start point when he hand grabs the world and the ending point when the hand releases the world.

I will be making another video to demonstrate this effect tomorrow.

This entry was posted in 3D space Exploration by klmitchell2. Bookmark the permalink.

About klmitchell2

Kevin Mitchell is an undergraduate at UW-Madison studying Computer Science. He is currently working on a project integrating a Leap Motion controller with a ZSpace screen. He expects this to increase the users ability to manipulate an object in 3d space. During his free time Kevin enjoys exploring everything that has to do with web development. He is hoping to find a career that will both fit his love for technology and design.