3/2/2015 TEB Update

What I accomplished this week

All my time this week was spent solving the electrical issue that was causing a short circuit (actually very high resistance, but not infinite) which prevented the circuit from functioning properly.  After spending a few hours with Professor Kevin Ponto analyzing and testing different subsystems of the circuit, we identified that the issue was coming from the H-Bridge section of the circuitry. I checked my design twice and verified that there weren’t any problems with it. This meant that there was an error when populating the board.

What I found was that I mixed up the location of two transistors when populating the board. There was a P-channel where an N-channel was supposed to be and vice verse.   I then removed and swapped the transistors and sure enough, everything is working perfectly now.

See the image below for more details.

Next week’s work

I would like to finish writing and testing the code out on my board.  The reason I have to write new code for this iteration is because I modified the PCB design so that the buttons are now connected to the external interrupts on the microcontroller.  This should help eliminate the delay issues (when the buttons were pressed) I was having with my first iteration.

1_30_2015 PCB2 Analysis (3)

The transistors in the white boxes were the root of my issues. I had one N-channel and one P-channel in each box, this enabled current to flow directly from power to ground. Q2 and Q3 in the left box should be two P-channel transistors and Q1 and Q4 in the right box should be two N-channel transistors

This entry was posted in Projects, TEB- A thermoelectric bracelet to improve personal thermal comfort by sylvestre. Bookmark the permalink.

About sylvestre

My name is Jason Sylvestre and I am currently a freshman studying Electrical Engineering here at UW-Madison.  While in high school, I was very involved in search and rescue robotics research and competed at the Intel Science and Engineering Fair where I received a third place medal out of nearly 1800 students from over 70 different countries.  This passion I developed for circuitry and EE brought me to the Living Environments Laboratory where I will be working under the supervision of Professor Kevin Ponto to build a thermoelectric bracelet that can be used for personal thermal comfort.