4/19/2015 TEB Update

Last week, I presented my project at the Undergraduate Research Symposium marking the culmination of my work to this date. Unfortunately, it didn’t quite reach my expectations as I had very little traffic in regards to actually presenting my research to someone who is not familiar with it, which is too bad because the two people I did present to were very impressed with how it turned out.

I was able to get a functional prototyping working last week, which was very exciting. You can actually feel your wrist picking up the pulses of thermal stimuli from the cooler and it tricks you into thinking your body is cooler!  I was using during the Symposium because it was quite warm in that room and I was able to use TEB to achieve thermal comfort. I must say that I was surprised with how well it worked.

Undergrad Research symposium jpg

Now, onto the future of this project. The next step in this project will be to do a complete redesign of both the circuit and the physical bracelet. As I stated in the previous post, in this next iteration of the electrical design, I will remove the transistor configuration and replace it with a H-Bridge IC and I can remove the voltage boosting section of the circuitry. This will drastically reduce the size. Then I plan to change the wrist strap to make it less cumbersome to put on. The goal would be to have it closely resemble a Myo armband in terms of esthetics and size like the one in the image below.

http://cdn.techfrag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/myo-armband-620x400.jpg

http://cdn.techfrag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/myo-armband-620×400.jpg

This entry was posted in TEB- A thermoelectric bracelet to improve personal thermal comfort by sylvestre. Bookmark the permalink.

About sylvestre

My name is Jason Sylvestre and I am currently a freshman studying Electrical Engineering here at UW-Madison.  While in high school, I was very involved in search and rescue robotics research and competed at the Intel Science and Engineering Fair where I received a third place medal out of nearly 1800 students from over 70 different countries.  This passion I developed for circuitry and EE brought me to the Living Environments Laboratory where I will be working under the supervision of Professor Kevin Ponto to build a thermoelectric bracelet that can be used for personal thermal comfort.