ReKinStruct : The Hardware-Software Battle

So, I was trying to obtain PCDs from the Kinect and in order to do so, I wanted to read something from the Kinect. Like I mentioned in the previous post, I had PCL and MSVC2010 installed. I had also obtained the latest version of OpenNI and SensorKinect to serve as drivers for the Kinect. And the following happened.

I had one line of code that initialises the Kinect and returns a pointer to grab data. It kept crashing at run-time and there was no stack trace. A little bit of googling led me to believe that OpenNI does not comply with my laptop’s underlying hardware.

Okay, *deep breaths* that is not a dead-end. There had to be something else. So I got Kinect Fusion installed from Microsoft site. And from the tutorials, all I needed to do was type one command line code and my Kinect would (magically?) start obtaining a PCD. Although what happened was a different story.

There was something wrong with my Graphics card. I tried installing the latest CUDA drivers from NVIDIA but that did not help too. I have an Intel 4000HD Graphics card on my laptop and I wonder if KinFu works only with NVIDIA Graphics cards which would mean I would have to start using another machine.

So, the plan for this week is to check if the Kinect works on another machine and start proceeding from there. I also have a bad ( and a good ) feeling that I might have missed installing something on my laptop and so I can get the Kinect working on my machine too. Will keep you posted.

All in all, the classic conclusion, Hardware and Software do not like each other.

This entry was posted in Projects, ReKinStruct by Naveen Anand. Bookmark the permalink.

About Naveen Anand

I am currently a Masters student in the department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at University of Wisconsin-Madison. My concentrations are Computer Architecture and Operating Systems. I work with Dr.Kevin Ponto (https://blogs.discovery.wisc.edu/kponto/) in the Living Environments Lab, Wisconsin Institute for Discovery as a Project Assistant for the vizHOME project. Image processing and Virtual Reality have always been one of my major co-curricular interests since undergrad. This blog is going to be a chronological compilation of my independent study and future work with Dr.Ponto.