Tiling and Hosting and Post-Its

First tiling of the large image done, just as a test (only used plain outline of onion)

Using the Bramus adaptation of various tiling scripts, this version was written as a Photoshop plug-in so it could be done directly, without exporting. The 32k x 32k image took about 2 hours to finish, much smoother than I expected! (this used my plain onion outline, rather than the cell-version still in progress, to test the simplest line for speed. We’ll see how the added detail changes things…)

As a map it worked! With some slight adjustments to the x-axis parameters, (the image was repeating horizontally).
The trick is getting the images posted online so that it can be shared. Seems quite simple… post the images on the “mywebspace” through UW and tell the code where to access them, put code into WordPress, easy-peasy.

MYWEBSPACE
is a monster.

I can only upload files one by one. I can only upload folders if I use the Java Plug-In, which does not work on Chrome and refuses to allow access through both Safari and Firefox, citing that Blackboard (the underlying system of mywebspace, presumably?) does not have sufficient permissions to run, and it errors out, giving this text file when I ask for more details, which only seems to be a list of possible error codes:

Missing required Permissions Manifest Attribute in Main Jar

Missing Application-Name manifest attribute for: https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/xythoswfs/lib/XythosUpload.jar
Java Plug-in 10.51.2.13
Using JRE version 1.7.0_51-b13 Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
User home directory = /Users/JackiW
—————————————————-
c:   clear console window
f:   finalize objects on finalization queue
g:   garbage collect
h:   display this help message
l:   dump classloader list
m:   print memory usage
o:   trigger logging
q:   hide console
r:   reload policy configuration
s:   dump system and deployment properties
t:   dump thread list
v:   dump thread stack
x:   clear classloader cache
0-5: set trace level to <n>
—————————————————-

I naively tried just dropping the folder of images into my list of folders to get around the problem, but that is just an obtusely simple solution. Mywebspace 1 GB of space, which is enough for the moment, and I’m sure I can request more as it is needed. The uploading issue is something a little bigger. I will try contacting DoIT to see if they have alternative suggestions for navigating this.

I will also have more time to look at this tonight, and most likely will host my images through my work website if I can’t get this sorted. Uploading these one by one would be like wallpapering your house with post-its.

(…. that might actually look pretty interesting, especially with a slight breeze…)

Below: a bit of the level 3 zoom magnification of a (very rough) line drawing of an onion. Each tile 256 x 256.

3_3_0

3_3_1

3_3_2

3_3_3

3_3_4

3_3_5

3_3_6

3_3_7

This entry was posted in In Focus Anatomy, Projects by jwhisenant. Bookmark the permalink.

About jwhisenant

Jacki Whisenant is a student at UW-Madison, studying zoology in order to establish a solid scientific background for pursuing work as a biological illustrator. She is currently a Frontier Fellow at the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery, working on developing drawings where viewers are able to zoom in "google-map style" onto a cross section of various organisms down to the cellular level. She has previously earned a BFA degree in music performance and art. On weekends she repairs and paints bodywork at the family business: Motorcycle Performance.