More Holiday Demo Stuff

This week I placed more coins, improved the quality of particle systems, made the skis turn in the direction of the user’s motion, and created some more models. I made a gingerbread man, a penguin, and a poinsettia model and placed some of each throughout the course. Right now, I’m planning on having the penguins walk around as moving obstacles, but as of now they just spin in place as the terrain has irregular heights and I’m not yet sure how to deal with that. I also added fireworks at the end of the hill to make the bottom of the hill look cooler. I attempted to make the snow globally distributed, but this resulted in the user skiing too fast for the snow to catch up. I’m not sure if it is possible to make the snow global and look realistic given the user’s top speed, but I will continue to investigate.

Here are some screenshots:

001 002

For next week, I will finish adding coins to the hill, work on getting the penguins to walk around, look into the global snow effect, add boundaries to the hill, and maybe make more models. Some models I might make are light posts, christmas lights, candles, and better looking houses at the bottom of the hill. I might also add some spinning hoops to jump through.

This entry was posted in Ski Slope Simulator by csuplinski. Bookmark the permalink.

About csuplinski

I am a fourth-year student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying Computer Science, Astronomy-Physics, and Statistics. I currently work at the Space Science Data Center of the Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences Building where I work on different web pages and computer programming projects.