Week 8

This week’s post won’t involve many useful screenshots as most my time was spent
1) trying to get things to work
2) looking into how to calculate the IPD in pixels

This post comes a bit late as most of last Monday-Thursday was spent a bit scattered with a little lack of direction, with uncertainty of how the checkerboard pattern was supposed to be used. I tried reading through many, many tabs of documents and tutorials involving distance between objects in OpenCV but so far didn’t make much progress:

tabs

My meeting with Kevin Ponto and Alex Peer on Friday was pretty helpful for me to get back on track and have a better idea of what to do.

Since the meeting, a lot of my time has been consumed trying to get the Hough Circles method to work on a picture of my own face (so far I have been failing a lot, and haven’t yet been able to figure out why. Inputting an image of my face doesn’t even output the image when I run the program). So instead I tried taking a picture of my friend’s eyes, who has much more defined irises and pupils and the method worked on her:

kt

As work is ongoing, I will keep trying to get a picture of my face working, in prep for the final step of the camera calibration with the checkerboard. In the meantime, the immediate goal is to figure out how to get the IPD in pixels. I have a good idea of the formula and math to be used, although I am still digging for documentation and tutorials to get the location/coordinates of the centers of the circles in the image.