Final Week

Last week was spent trying different camera calibration methods. A few days were spent on the checkerboard method, a few more on sticky notes and other color detection. Many problems cropped up with both these methods. I couldn’t get the program to truly recognize the checkerboard, and the way my program is set up it was very difficult to get the blob detection up and running.

This week I tried the last resort clicking method which surely was the least problematic out of all the methods. Some annoying issues I ran into were:
1) finding reliable Python tutorials and documentation as most resources were only available for C++
2) once a python resource was found, it was version 2.7 rather than 3.6, so a lot of time was spent fixing up indentation and syntax issues

Once all that was figured out, I wrote a tiny simple algorithm to take in the first two mouse clicks and stop after the first two, and then find the distance between the two. I have also finished up with the pixel -> mm conversion math, all that needs to be done now is testing with a reliable piece of paper / sticky note etc. taped to the forehead. I will probably do that on Sunday and edit this post with results, along with adding the option for command line arguments for more generality.

The only final issue is consistency, as hough circles distance in pixels detection seems to work on only 50% of the images, and I have yet to find out a solution for the short-scalar overflow. It shouldn’t be occurring based on the method I’m using, not sure what’s wrong.