DS999 Week Two (Exploring Web-Based AR)

Weekly accomplishments:
This week I focused on starting to research what already exists in the AR space. I’ve been mostly drawn to the usage of AR in the fine art world and how it’s transforming gallery spaces, but something else that stood out to me was the art of Olafur Eliasson who created experiences for people to enjoy in their homes during the pandemic. There is an article of note here: Augmented reality art: Where your home becomes the gallery – BBC News

Another show that I found interesting was this location-based AR show in Berlin, made for experiencing gallery work during the pandemic: Highsnobiety Kicks Off Augmented Reality Art Show Designed for Berlin – TheArtGorgeous

I’ve also been finding some great tutorials on how to get my workflow set up in AR.js and getting a better idea of what I’ll need to get started. It looks like I should be able to host the project for free on a website called glitch.com

Challenges:
It seems like the main challenges for Web-Based AR project is in the distribution, many of the software and apps I found require the user to download the app, which is why I’m leaning towards AR.js, but I’m staying open minded as I continue my research. Another software that looked helpful me is Adobe Aero, but the issue of distribution is the same.

Future work:
Next week I’ll be continuing to research of software and existing art, as well as watching all the tutorials I found to dive deeper before I am set on my ideas.