Progress report 1

3D scanning of University book store

I scanned the University bookstore(711 State St, Madison, WI 53703) on 25th of November using FARO 3D laser scanner. The total number of scanned files are 15(took 8-10 minutes per each). It took about 4 hours(from 7:00-11:20AM) as a whole. Since the battery was ran out during the scanning job, I had to stop scanning and charge it for about 20-30 minutes. (*Make sure fully charge two batteries next time before starting scanning work).

I roughly divided the store in three sections.

Section 1:Left side of the store-Fashion apparel items/ Section 2:Back side of the store-School supplies and gift shop/ Section 3: Right side of the store-Fashion apparel items and badger items.

Section 1 area are mostly covered except women’s apparel section. Additional scanning job is necessary for the rest of areas.

Untitled-6

I planed to revisit the store upcoming Sunday(November 8th) from 7:30 to 11:30. Since this could be last chance of scanning(Duane won’t be able to have time until Christmas), I will try to scan as many as possible probably about 18-20 files (5, 6 scan per hour).

Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 8.45.14 PM

Registering Scanned data

Using software SCENE(specially designed software for FARO focus 3D), I registered scanned data set. Since one data set was ruined due to the low battery during scanning, 14 scanned data out of 15 were used for registering job.

Although overall visualization of the store seems to nice, scanner couldn’t capture the whole appearance of apparel items. As items were displayed so densely, capturing images from whole perspective was challenging. Just in case, I took pictures of individual set of item for the possibility of using PhotoScan. (But I don’t know how to import PhotoScan files into SCENE and combine two different data set or vise versa, I will explore this later)

Untitled-7 Untitled-8 Untitled-9

Plan for next week 

November 6th and 7th – Literature review on shopping path studies and develop questionnaire. Idea development for shopping path study.

November 8th – Scan the bookstore

November 10th- Register the scanned data