Weekly Update #4

Accomplishments:
This week Kevin and I soldered the electret microphone to the Qduino Mini microcontroller (shown in the picture). We have been researching possible coding techniques to use in order to make the LEDs blink to the beat of the music. We experimented with the fast Fourier transform or FFT, which converts raw audio samples into a frequency spectrum. With little success I decided to take a different approach and am now working with the Fast Hartley Transform (FHT), which is a function that converts time domain signals to the frequency domain.

Problems:
I keep getting a compiling error when I verify the FHT code. It says “FHT.h: No such file or directory #include // include the library”, even though I have the FHT.h file in the arduino libraries folder. We will be troubleshooting this issue next week.

Plan for next week:
We will be finishing up the code that triggers the strings of LEDs to blink at different frequencies. I would like to begin sewing in the fiber optics to the skirt as well. I am hoping to get about 75% of the skirt done this week.