Team Object – Update Week 6

Individual Accomplishments


“I began implementation on raycasting the main menu so that the game can be started more easily with the Oculus Rift.  I also looked into sound options in the Unity asset store, so that I can add sound effects to player movement and interactions.  Lastly, I has more issues with Github, so I ironed out some issues and ensured the project was correct and up to date”


“This week we ran into an issue when we sat together to test our game. The clients couldn’t be spawned and enter the game scene. I found that there should be a problem with the NetworkTransform components I attached to the doors, but I couldn’t figure out the exact issue. Anyway I noticed that instead of synchronizing the transform of the doors I only needed to synchronize the current state of the door (open or close) and move the doors on every clients toward that state. After making that change, the issue was gone.

I also implemented a respawn system. When a player dies, a message appears that shows a countdown. When it counts to zero, the player will be transported to their spawn point, and their health will be reset.”


“I have added probably 90% – 100% of the objects for the final game, and have also fixed all of the collider issues (when a player is a prop) as well as the tag and layering issues. On top of this, I have baked a new light map to fix the lighting bugs we were having previously.

While there are not too many objects outside, I feel like this is also an advantage as many people will not want to travel outside if there is more objects inside, but who knows. Maybe it will just make the game easier. That’s where testing comes in.”

Accomplishments Made by Team

The project is functional and testable, though there is no end condition yet (no round timer implemented, so the game round just goes on forever).  But other than that, the game can be played, though it still feels somewhat clunky.  The rest of our time can be spent on improving player controls, adding sound and visual effects, and figuring out game balance.  Since our project doesn’t take a narrative approach and instead focuses on player interaction, it is important that the controls and “feel” of the game is natural, and requires little effort to learn (especially since players will be using the Oculus Rift, so we expect that becoming comfortable with the Oculus Rift will be the most difficult obstacle the player will encounter, thus we are planning on spending most of the learning time on this aspect).  This last week we finished most required functionality for a published game, and looked into what needs to be polished.  We met up again with multiple computers to do playtesting, where the game broke again do to new implementation, but we were able to fix it quickly.  Although we didn’t get to look into game balancing issues, we were able to look at how we can make the game more accessible to the players.








We ran into an issue with network transforms completely breaking the game.  Network transforms were attached to doors so that when a player opens one, it will appear open to all other players.  However, when we tested it, the host could enter the game just fine, but all other clients would spawn in (their bodies could be seen) but they themselves were stuck at the main menu.  Sizhuo quickly fixed this by finding a work around, though we still don’t know exactly what was wrong.

Andrew found out how to properly commit and push though the git shell the hard way, so he had to redo some implementation…..again….if anything, he learned a lot about Github through this project!

For the first time, there weren’t many issues for Grayson in terms of the game environment.  The only issue that still stands is the player clipping issue, which he plans on fixing this next week.


Plans for Next Week

Andrew will further add sound effects to the game and improve the in-game UI, as well as refine the main menu with some effects and hopefully some Oculus-friendly UI raycasting.

Sizhuo will looking into last minute game components, such as a round timer and some sort of deterrent for camping object players.

Grayson will look into the final player model (for the hunter, as well as the objects before they choose an object to hide as), to see if this will fix the clipping issues.  If necessary, different colliders may be implemented (or NavMeshes).


We’re getting there!