Weekly Update #5


The picture shows the testing set up I used with the a LED attached to the microcontroller/microphone. The light flashes to the beat of the music. The fiber optics I will be using are also shown.

This week Kevin and I experimented with the fast Fourier transform or FFT and the fast Hartley transform or FHT. I downloaded the FHT library and was able to modify a code in order to get a readings. However, I am not sure how to down-sample all of the data in order for it to be useful. I tried a different approach and wrote a code that uses the raw electret microphone data. This approach works and the lights will flash to the beat of the music if there is well defined base in the song. I am afraid that in a festival environment the music will be too loud and the lights will constantly be on so we tried to write a code that would take an average of the first 100 readings right when the device is turned on and then will only trigger the lights if the reading is 200 points higher than the average.
For whatever reason whenever we run the code that is supposed to take one average right away and compare all other readings to that average the serial monitor will not display any data. We cannot figure out a reason for this because everything about the code looks good and it compiles just fine. I might just use the code that does’t take an average and do a bunch of tests with the garment in a loud atmosphere and change the thresholds within the code.

Plan for next week:
This week I am going continue working on putting the skirt together. I am going to sew in the microcontroller/microphone and attach the string of LEDs. I will start sewing in the fiber optics. I figured out how to attach the fiber optics to the string lights over the weekend.